How Much Dwelling Coverage Do I Need for A Condo?

Updated: Apr 20

The insurance section of your condominium Homeowners Association (HOA) should describe how the HOA insurance will insure the inside of your condo unit and is typically written in one of three ways.

1. The HOA policy will rebuild the perimeter walls and sometimes load bearing walls, to the studs or taped drywall and roof of the structure. That leaves the condo unit owner with an empty shell. The unit owner will then be responsible to reconstruct the interior walls, cabinets, countertops, shelves, vanities, faucets, etc.

2. The HOA policy will rebuild the perimeter walls and all of the interior fixtures including walls, cabinets, countertops using like kind materials as installed by the original builder, but will not insure the value of any upgrades or betterments installed by current or prior owners after the original construction was complete.

3. The HOA policy will insure all the interior original improvements plus all upgrades or betterments installed after original construction was complete.

It is important to note that the above ways refer to the coverage in your HOA policy. The type of HOA insurance will directly impact the amount of condo unit owner insurance (HO 6) you will need to buy.

Hopefully, this article will encourage you discuss Condo coverage with your independent insurance agent/broker. They can help you, but it is your responsibility to choose the insurance that is best for you.

4 views0 comments