Elevation Certificates: Who needs them and why!

Updated: Feb 27

If your home or business is in a high-risk area, your insurance agent will likely need an Elevation Certificate to determine your flood insurance premium.

Floods mean rising water. Knowing your building’s elevation compared to the estimated height of floodwater helps determine your flood risk and the cost of your flood insurance.

An elevation certificate documents the elevation of your building for the floodplain managers enforcing local building ordinances and for insurance rating purposes.

How an Elevation Certificate is used

If your building is in a high-risk area—a zone indicated with the letters A or V on a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM)—the elevation certificate includes important information that is needed for determining a risk-based premium rate for a flood insurance policy.

For example, the elevation certificate shows the location of the building, the Lowest Floor Elevation, building characteristics, and flood zone.

Your insurance agent will use the elevation certificate to compare your building’s elevation to the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) shown on the flood map being used for rating and determine the cost to cover your flood risk.

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All